John Willmott School

Design & Technology

In Design Technology, students have the opportunity to develop skills in designing and making whilst experiencing a wide range of options including Textiles, Food Technology and Resistant Materials.

Key Stage 3

At KS3 students have 4 hours of Design Technology lessons per fortnight and are taught in specially equipped rooms by subject specialist teachers. Our aim in Design Technology is to enable students to build their knowledge, skills and understanding of materials by making actual products through a number of projects. These projects also include cross curricular skills in numeracy, literacy, graphics and problem solving. Students will also experience Computer Aided Design(CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacture(CAM).

In Year 7, students will experience projects in Product Design using wood, metal and plastics and Food Technology, where they will learn about the ‘Eat well plate’ and cook a range of food products.

In Year 8, as well as Product Design and Food Technology, students will experience the Textiles area, making a product from fabric and learning how to use a sewing machine correctly and safely.

Key Stage 4

At KS4 students have the opportunity to select one or two GCSE subjects (depending on their option choices) from the Design Technology courses offered which are Product Design, Catering, Graphics and Textiles. In these courses they will produce coursework in response to a design brief set by the exam board. The coursework includes research, analysis, design, manufacture and evaluation. Currently this work represents 60% of the final GCSE grade. The remaining 40% is tested as a written/design examination. There are many careers relating to the Design Technology subjects and these courses provide a brief foundation into the subject specialisms.

Key Stage 5

At KS5 there is an opportunity for students to develop their design skills and understanding at both AS and A2 level as we offer A level Product Design.

AS – During this year the course is divided into two components the Product Study where students take a familiar product and improve it in some way and the Innovation Challenge examination. The Innovation Challenge examination lasts for 6 hours and during this time students must design, make and evaluate a prototype product they have made.

A2 – During this year, students design and make a ‘new’ product based upon a design problem they have identified and researched. The course is completed by a design and theory examination, where knowledge of materials and manufacturing is tested.