In September 2008, John Willmott School celebrates its 50th Anniversary. To mark the occasion, amongst other things, we have launched this website which over the next few months will grow to include a detailed history of the School over the past fifty years.
Founded in the name of Alderman John Willmott of Sutton Coldfield, John Willmott Grammar School (JWGS) was opened in 1958 as a co-educational Grammar School for 700 pupils. The school was opened with one fourth year form (the equivalent of today's Year 10), one third year form (Year 9), one second year form (Year 8) and two first year forms (Year 7). The first year (between 1958 and 1959) was spent in the Fairfax School building whilst the John Willmott Grammar School building was completed. You can see the Headmaster, Mr. Bill Roberts' first two pages of diary entries from 1958 by click on this link.
At the time of opening in 1959 the school building was award winning.
The original forms (Anson, Drake, Nelson and Rodney) were named after admirals (the first Headteacher, Mr. Bill Roberts was a former naval man, and John Willmott Grammar School was affectionately nicknamed HMS Willmott.)
In 1974 it became a Comprehensive School, determined to maintain its excellent record of achievement and to meet the needs of a full range of pupils within the local community of Sutton Coldfield.
As the school continued to grow,
- A new Music block was built in 1980
- Followed shortly after by the art block
- a new Sixth Form Centre was built
1992 / 1993 to house those 16-18 year
olds wishing to further their education
within the school.
- A Languages and Humanities block was
opened in 1994
- in 1996 the English block was extended.
- More recently, in 2003 the new Maths block
In 2000 the School was granted Technology College status, thus setting it up to become a leading school of the 21st Century.
To date there have been six Headteacher's, all male, since the School opened. The longest serving was Mr. France from September 1969 to July 1980.
Today. John Willmott School is a consistently oversubscribed school with over 1,200 pupils including 200 sixth formers and over 100 staff.
Tony Daniels is currently writing a history of the School from 1958 - 2005. Details of the publication date and cost can be obtained from Lena Bradbury (Key Stage 4 and 5 Administrator.)
If you would like to view the memories of those pupils and staff who have spent part of their school or working life at John Willmott Grammar School / John Willmott School, please click on the memories link.